Thursday, September 24, 2009

Serving the Uninsured

I have also been volunteering at the Free Clinic in my town, and I am enjoying it way more than I ever thought possible. It has really opened my eyes to how much there is to do in my own backyard. Volunteering has really challenged my decision to join the Peace Corp. I have always known how much help I could be overseas, but now I am realizing how needed we all are in America. I am not unaware of the issues surrounding education, poverty, and AIDS here in the states.  (These three are being targeted because this is the work I am going to be doing in Lesotho).  I just never imagined a recent college graduate with little experience in these fields could be put to use. Boy was I wrong!  

I am definitely not the doctor at the clinic but sometimes behind the scene work is just as important.  As a volunteer I have learned very personal things about patients at the clinic. It's heartbreaking.  If I ever think I had a bad day I think of those pregnant moms with four kids (already) and no health insurance. How is that possible? While I am not working directly with the patients I am filling prescriptions, reorganizing their charts, and scheduling appointments. I see a lot of personal information about these patients. Its changing me.  Obviously, I am still volunteering which means giving up Thursday night football.    

No comments:

Post a Comment