Thursday, September 3, 2009

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today it's my pops 51st birthday! Oh boy, is getting old!?!  I thought in honor of this day I would share one of my fondest childhood memories of my him. 

On top of working 60+ hour weeks, travel, his wife and two other children, golf, marathon training (you get the picture, pops is a busy guy) he found time to coach my softball team for a number of years.   The best year was definitely the year of the Peppermint Patties, probably because we won the most games that year of any year I played.  Winning really is everything.  It wasn't really the softball that I enjoyed though, it was the rides to the softball games I longed for.  

My mom had C.A. early in the Peppermint Patties softball season.   It was too hot for the baby and C.D. so mom would bring the boys out later, leaving quality time for pops and me!  We rode out to JCGAA blasting Queens "Bicycle Race" and some of their other hits.  I used to go over the batting order and field positions on the way to the games, mostly to add my own opinions.  My dad never let me look at them till we got in the car so I was always curious to see if I was playing catcher or second base.  He always told me it did not matter where I played or where I was on the batting order, all that mattered is that I did my best.  

When I was trying to get my facts straight last night I learned a lot about the silly politics of recreational softball.  I am so relieved to find out I did not know about most of the politics until last night.  I was awful at softball, but I am thankful I never knew.  I am so glad my parents were laid back about sports.  My parents truly let me enjoy the games!   They encouraged me to go after my dreams, try new things, and be the best that I could be.  And the thing is, pops really meant it.  Thanks!  Happy Birthday!  

No comments:

Post a Comment