Saturday, September 12, 2009

Pipe Dreams

One weekend when it seemed like K.F.A. and I were the only ones in town I took her to my ideal world. We started brainstorming big ideas to make this world even better. The kind of dreams you tell people about and they roll their eyes and say "like that would ever happen." K.F.A. and I decided we want to open a clinic in South America someday. I am putting this dream in writing so that when I look back on my plans later in life I will remember this one and how much I really want it to happen. I will try not to get ahead of myself here but I would also love to have this documentation to show people you truly need to be the change you wish to see in the world (Gandhi).

You see right now K.F.A. is anxiously awaiting the final moments before she takes the MCATS again. I can't tell you how much time and effort she has poured into preparing for this challenging exam. She is a saint! On top of studying for the MCAT, she is on student government transfer council, works twenty hours a week doing research, and is president of the biosci club. Oh and then there is class and all the things I am forgetting. Really though, she turns down football to study. That takes dedication and power!

I am in a bind. I need K.F.A. to do really well on the MCAT, get into med school, finish med school, and become a successful doctor. No pressure, right? It is not for me K.F.A., it is for the children of South America, not sure that relieves any pressure. I am at a major loss for words. Its seems silly to tell her "good luck on the MCAT" because if luck was all it took there would not be anything to prepare and strive for. The the MCAT is not your regular exam. And I can't tell her "I know you will do well" because realistically I do not know if she will do well. I would love for her to do well, hope she does well, and know she deserves (above all people) to do well. The second comment adds anxiety and stress (as if she does not have enough of that). She feels like if she does not perform as well as expected she will let everyone down (and more importantly her parents) This is not true. We all love you and are pulling for you every step of the way. Take a second to look at all you have accomplished. I am so envious of your study habits, your motivation, and your organization. Good news, you are only 21!

So K.F.A. do your best! I know you would make an amazing doctor and I can only hope your MCAT score shows that as well. This is America, but do not let that number define you... because you are way better than any number you "earn."

No comments:

Post a Comment