Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nostalgia

In high school running defined me. I ate, slept, and breathed in running. Everything I did revolved around running. I had zero friends, I hated school, and I had a dog with an energy problem. Running also saved my high school experience, and frankly, it saved me. Through running I met my circle of friend, J.L.W. (no, that is not meant to be friendS). Running helped me concentrate in school or at least get into a state college. And it helped calm my d-o-g, on occasion! If nothing else, it allowed me to compete... and I love winning.

Now, the youngest H is running. C.A. has his second meet today and I can already tell he is taking a liking to the sport. He eats pasta before his races, goes to bed early(ier) before races, and drinks ten times more water than the average fourteen year old. The sport requires so much sacrifice and dedication, even for the slowest runner. I already LOVE watching him run, reliving the glory days. Cross country is typically a non-spectator sport but something about it totally captivates me. It definitely fills my competitive side. The combination of individual and team competition always inspired me to push myself, not only for a personal record (PR) but also to help the team.

C.A., I am not sure why you are running or even if you know. You have a plethora of friends. You are so anxious and excited for what your high school years hold. Your dog is old and lazy. I am just happy you chose the sport, even if you only stick it out for your freshman year!
No matter how fast or slow you run you will always make me proud! I am so glad I get to be here to watch you race a few times (if nothing else I owe it to you... I know you did not miss a single meet of mine)! Run your heart out today!

"Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must move faster than the lion or it will not survive. Every morning a lion wakes up and it knows it must move faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you are the lion or the gazelle, when the sun comes up, you better be moving." (Maurice Greene)

No comments:

Post a Comment