Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Be an AID

I have been volunteering at an AIDS clinic since I graduated from college. Initially I signed on board as a way to occupy my time, fulfill my pre-departure Peace Corp requirements, and to simply open my eyes to AIDS. (Fact: Lesotho has the highest population of HIV/AIDS in the world--one fourth of the population!) The things I have learned about AIDS have been truly fascinating. More importantly is what I have learned about our sad society. Since I have no problem being friends with someone who has AIDS or would not mind hiring someone with AIDS I did not realize other did. This disease is still so stigmatized! Hello society, it's 2009! Do you realize some of these kids are born with AIDS? Its not like they asked Santa for AIDS for Christmas. Do you know people who transmit AIDS might not even be aware they have it? So why (why why why) do we make them wear a target on their back and live in total confidentiality? It is not fair! Especially when it's often times its preventable. Stop judging and start being an aid to those in need.

My parents have never discussed sex education in our house. Volunteering for an AIDS Ministry has made me realized how lucky they are (or I am--have not decided which). I also took health three times in high school. The joys of moving! None of my health classes talked about sex education. Lets talk about sexually transmitted diseases in school, get tested for these diseases in school, encourage safe sex in school, and hand out condoms in school. Not every child comes from a background where the parents take responsibility and time to teach about these American denoted touchy subjects. We can not rely on parents, and right now we can't rely on schools either. The US Government is sending me overseas to Lesotho to do HIV/AIDS outreach in schools yet they would not dare not broach the subject in their own schools. There is HIV/AIDS in America. How is that for backwards?

WAKE UP AMERICA! WAKE UP NAIVE PARENTS! Abstinence is not the answer. Youth are having sex, whether you like it or not. If we start teaching about sexually transmitted diseases and safe sex in school we can help stop the spread of these diseases. Not to mention education might reduce the number of teen pregnancies. I am not really sure why sex before marriage and AIDS are still stigmatized in this country. Maybe it's because we are ignorant? I wish I had an answer. For now, my answer is lack of education! A little education goes a long way.

PS: I think this blogs title should be changed to My Rants. The ranting never ends, and I am sure I will still be ranting in Lesotho.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this post. I think I want to link to it in my blog. And also:

    (516): The duggars are the reason premarital sex is ok. Because if you don't have it until marriage you have no self control when it happens. And 19 kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. re:rsparks
    I read that text. Doesn't make sense. The Duggars have 18 kids. So 19 is inaccurate and not exaggeratory enough to be a hyperbole. Blah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Didn't you hear? Number 19 is on the way!

    ReplyDelete