Monday, September 14, 2009

Midwesterner at Heart

Each person has something that defines them, something that sets them apart from others, that one thing that makes them unique. One thing everyone knows about me is I was born and raised in Kansas. I love Kansas and everything about it. Poor J.L.W. has really suffered the brunt of my love. She has constantly listen to me compare everything to Kansas. I left seven years ago, and I am still making comparisons. I can't help it. It is part of who I am.

There is nothing I can really put my finger on as to why Kansas is so great. The people? The Chiefs? The public pools? Definitely not the Royals. The schools (or the school spirit)? My fabulous neighbors? The Jayhawks? Going boating on the lake? Knowing where everything is? It is not one thing, its a combination of everything.

Recently I was able to stop by for less than a day to check up on things. Nothing has changed, and I love that. My life has drastically changed, yet I have remained nearly the same (or so they tell me). Sure I have matured, my hair has darkened, I have met new people, received a college education. Obviously I am not as close to my old freinds and neighbors. Sometimes that's sad but really what can you expect, time and distance tend to have that effect on people. I am just thankful I always have a place to call home, even if it isn't home anymore. Whenever I go back we pick up where we left off!

If I had a nickel for everytime someone told me, "Toto, I have a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore" (Wizard of Oz) I would be rich. Too bad I don't. Trust me, it's apparent I am not in Kansas anymore, but a part of me will always be in the heartland. My full apology for the cheesiness of that last statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment