Monday, August 6, 2012

Say Something #6

This weekend I traveled to Greenville, SC to attend a wedding shower. And while there, experienced an added perk of the South: proximity to other places in the South where people I happen to like a whole lot live. Life has taken my friends to separate states, so we have to make a concerted effort to reconnect. Over the years, our phone calls have gotten fewer and father between, but there is no doubt when we get together we still 'know' one another. This was evident the minute I stepped off the plane.

Saturday, when J.M.S. picked me up from the tiny Greenville-Spartanburg airport, I felt I had entered a different world. Or at the very least, stepped back a few years in time. As the Olympics played in the background, we caught up on the past couple months before heading downtown to meet her incredibly gracious family for lunch at Takosushi. My brother, C.D.H., drove up from Altanta, GA to meet us for Greenville's greatest [food] offering. Since C.D.H. has been MIA since Christmas, we broke from the group to walk the riverfront and fill the extended gap, that has been 2012. Once the late afternoon thunderstorm rolled in and made being outside no longer fun, I headed back to J.M.S.'s place... and my brother took off. Then like all girls, we spent the next couple hours getting ready for the evening shower. The actual shower was, of course, lots of fun... and allowed me to reconnect with a few of the more local bridesmaids, the ones who have done everything thus far, like hosting this shower. Newberry Hall catered the event--orzo salad and craisin cookies, oh how I have missed you! Afterward we went out downtown, where I dominated the pool table all.night.long. Along with available tables... and affordable prices... Greenville does not offer much in the line of competition. But I like winning. I like winning lots. I was more than okay with my record come the end of the night.

Sunday, I got up early to meet J.L.W. who traveled northwest to see me in person. I guess the four-hour phone calls have not been doing it for her lately. We found some pancakes for breakfast... and began an in-person marathon conversation. After pancakes, we headed to the riverfront for more walking and talking. She was eventually able to pull herself away from the enthralling conversation to meet with another friend. I spent the afternoon quite productively sleeping. I cannot remember the last time I was as lazy. I have zero regrets, it was blissful. There was some sort of Mexican feast my stomach was not at all prepared for offered for dinner. And an Olympic night cap.

Today, my first day-off from work since starting, I caught up almost entirely on email. You have no idea the weight lifted off my shoulders when I have a clean inbox. I squeezed in a run. I lunched with J.M.S. And now, I sit, forcing myself to do a bit of writing and a lot of reading before my flight home.    

Time well spent with 'my people'.

No comments:

Post a Comment