Sunday, August 5, 2012

Say Something #5

I stayed up late to watch McKayla Maroney win gold in the individual vault (since each gymnastic event has been spoiled by my day-late viewing schedule). Her doing so seemed more guaranteed than most anything else in my life, like an on-time flight tomorrow. I have followed M.R.M. from the 2011 World Championship to the Olympic trials through the team qualifiers to the team gold and, finally tonight, to her event, where the favorite fell to silver.  My emotions got the best of me; it was impossible to separate myself from the visibly startled teen. There is nothing positive or inspiring I can make of this story, the disappointment must be insurmountable (and that is without comprehension of what it is like to hone in y-e-a-r-s at the gym). May the happiness of silver honors register tonight, for Maroney.

No comments:

Post a Comment