Thursday, August 23, 2012

Say Something #23

In need of fresh air, I awoke Tuesday morning… and stepped on to the back porch with a cup of piping hot coffee in my hand. I am not sure what I was doing honestly. I was running behind. I had a friend that needed to be transported to the bus station and a job I had an obligation to show up on-time for. Alas I was on the deck with this cup of joy I had no intentions of drinking at its then current temperature, dreaming of the next season. Summer has become rather stagnant. Maybe that is because of my glorious 9-5 job... one that permits little time for drifting idly on large bodies of water in my kayak, hiking new terrain, lounging lazily poolside, or vacationing? Or alternatively, there is a non-dismissible serious stuff surrounding my every move, clogging my pathways in a physical and substantiated way.

All reasoning aside, what matters is I smelled fall on the porch on this early morning. And it was a great great great thing. The change will be welcomed, more this year than others. That slow transition from shorts and tees to shorts and long-sleeves to jeans and tees to jeans and sweaters; flip flops to closed-toed shoes to boots. The thought of school children clamoring at the bus stop, heading back to the classroom. Structure and stability. FOOTBALL! ...dream... dream... dream...

I snapped back into the moment, hurried through my morning routine. Then come 1:00 pm, I allowed myself to break away from the office freezer, for an afternoon stroll with Cube Neighbor Girl, in the almost fall-like atmosphere.

I am falling for fall. Come on now, hurry up.

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed that fall is around the corner too! There is something about the "crispness" in the weather this time of year.

    The air feels crisp. The sky looks crisp. The smells of the trees and plants (grapevines for me!) smell crisp.

    Maybe "crisp" is not the correct word, but I cannot think of another one that describes what I am trying to convey.

    As much as I dislike the short days and the cold of winter, I do love the changing of the seasons. And like you, I cannot wait for football to start! Goooo Packers!!!!

    xo Meredith

    ReplyDelete