Thursday, August 16, 2012

Say Something #16

As summer nears an end, I am inspired to share my particularly fabulous Memorial Day weekend--how summer began. Monday, May 28, 2012 marked my first official day off since the beginning of my young career. I capitalized on the long holiday weekend by migrating South to Raleigh, North Carolina for time with my favorite family. My boss was gracious enough to let me leave early on the particularly slow Friday, he has since changed his tune. Traveling the dreaded I-95 (on the ever popular "first" weekend of summer), I got there no earlier… however, saved myself from getting in late, late. After impressing (ahem, shocking) K.N.F. with my casual Friday attire, we got down to business with  homemade salsa and conversation. Words flowed effortlessly into the wee hours of the night. Only having covered about a third of the necessary topics, at the end of night one, I was unsure we would manage to get through the rest of them. 

Saturday K.N.F. and I awoke to cell phone rings from a “jealous” sister. We quickly prepared ourselves for a swimsuit-less swim date with the rest of the family. I left soaked--blame the double-trouble-two-year-old-twins--perfect for lunch at my first ever Indian buffet. I am not sure I would do the whole combo again. But all must live once. The afternoon passed restfully in front of the television. This K family is capable of encouraging behavior far beyond my comfort zone. Like watching TLC's pregnancy shows and Taylor Swift sing-a-longs. Bizarre. In an attempt to hit all my 'must-eats' we dined at Mellow Mushroom for dinner. I could tell endless stories about our waitress… I will leave it with the entertainment value was almost as good as the food.

Hiking at Eno State Park took place on Sunday. The crew: five adults, two two-year olds, two dachshunds. There was time for river swimming. And when I say swimming, I mean digging for rocks and splashing. A significant amount of splashing. More appropriately dressed, but equally soaked, we picnicked at the park. Then rushed those in need home for a nap. I partook in some relaxing business. K.N.F. and I went for falafels for dinner. This is 'our thing' as the two of us first experienced these together pyramid picnic style in Egypt, four years ago. I have yet to comprehend why the Research Triangle is such a falafel hotspot. No questions asked, huge visiting perk. The day came to and end with a walk with Ramsey, the dog. I needed a long walk to mask the extra “vacation” calories. 

Monday sailed by. I decided leaving at 7:00 pm would help me avoid the loathed interstate. Magical idea. I sailed home in four hours, hitting up a few back-roads and not a single road-block. The car ride alloted me time for a lengthy conversation with my brother, which was a fabulous plus. The only down-side was the 5:00 am Tuesday morning wake-up call... and the couple hours of work I had to put in while visiting. Everything else, weather included, was Southern perfect. Oh and thou shall not neglect complimenting (and thanking!) K.N.F. for making her famous brownies; there was lots of nibbling on these. As if we needed iced-brownies to go with the dozen Krispy Kreme donuts. 

You see, this weekend came and went in one sizable blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment