Thursday, August 18, 2011

Turning Mid-Twenties

My birthday happened to fall during a dark period. This did not matter because normally, in the grand scheme of things, I could care less about my own birthday--the day and age are simply marking numbers. This day, coincided with my permanent arrival from Lesotho, exactly 11 months ago. In a year, plagued by numbers, I graciously accepted the fresh slate. I did my best to rise above my thoughts, live in this moment, and enjoy my foundation of family and friends.

These are the memories I intend to store:
  1. The early morning run on my favorite tree-lined, shady, gravel road. This time was for me; a peaceful way to begin a new year. Every year, I like to honor 'my number' in exercise. This year the ideal would have been a 24 mile cruise on the bike, not having time on the actual date... my envisioned ride happened within the week. 
  2. August is not only the best month for birthdays, it's the best month for produce: cherries, raspberries, and watermelon for a post-run breakfast.
  3. I uncovered a shirt in my closet from approximately three years ago. The mere waste (of money and closet space) came to an end. I pretended this shirt was a classic, rocking it all day long. 
  4. I explored new territory in Old Town Alexandria. The best part--it's fairy uncommercialized! This cute town, right off the water has officially been added to my 'go-to agenda' for my role as tour guide. 
  5. I lunched at a restaurant with a large selection of 100% botanical options. These types of dining locals are true gems; my head was spinning with choices. 
  6. My search for bicycle earrings came to an end
  7. ... and my sweet neighbor insisted on unnecessarily purchasing them for me!
  8. I received a bazillion phone calls. 
  9. ... and a particularly special one from N.middle-name-less.B. all the way in Lesotho! I have no idea how he pulled this off! Also, from Lesotho, a text message from A.J.S. 
  10. Discovering (a few days prior) Jason Heyward and I share the same birthday. I'm undeniably the younger, more successful, product of the 9th of August. 
  11. ... and sharing an extra innings Braves birthday win with him.
  12. Skipping the fancy dinner and cutting right into the Mocha Fudge Ice Cream Torte. 
  13. Breaking my vegan diet for this torte! We all need to live a little--one dessert is not the end-all-be-all.
  14.  Watching Jeopardy with my entire family fully engaged. 
  15. Twitter adding a camera icon for easy picture uploading.
  16. A heart felt message from C.D.H. This is the less than tenth congregation of words my brother has ever written specifically for me. I cherish them all, especially this one.
  17. Staying up, I mean being up, for nearly all 24 hours of my birthday. I'm confident this is not something I want to repeat, but at what better year than 24 to stay up all 24 hours of day. 
  18. A birthday card from my grandfather and a letter from... you guess it... the best.penpal.ever. 
  19. Solidifying my social calendar for the rest of August. The more I do, the more I can do. 
  20. Still receiving presents? This can only mean: lots of new books. According to the trees, Tina Fey's hardcopy of Bossypants is worth the waste. 
  21. A walk with the family (arguably my) loyal companion, Louis. 
  22. Laughter is love. And there was lots of laughter. 
  23. A full day, closing this one unison with C.A.H., knowing full well tomorrow would bring early rises--him for a long run and my sleepless self for minor housekeeping--before we dove into the remainder of this jam-packed month. 
  24. And hope... hope for comfort and closure; hope that 23 will be the worst of all years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment