Sunday, August 7, 2011

Throwback

Nickelodeon is running a series right now called The '90s Are All That airing all the childhood shows that raised me. My dad worked long hours and traveled a ton throughout the family dinner era, meaning six o'clock on weekdays was synonymous with Doug, while shortly after followed Rugrats and dinner. Yes, our gourmet, from scratch, meals were coupled with television!

Watching reruns of these shows is quite comical. I have vivid memories of particular episodes or favorite scenes. In a recently aired Kenan and Kel ("Who loves orange soda? Kel loves orange soda! I do I do I do, oooo!") skit, the two clowns--Kenan and Kel--poured out 70 boxes of cereal in search of a special prize; 15 (+/-) years ago this wholesome youngster wailed with laughter during such scenes.

The third H is a full eight years younger than me, creating a unique dynamic. He certainly remembers the tail end of '90s tv, but in addition, had a plethora of other options. These choices opened a new world, far from the comedy, comfort, and cleanliness of my viewing. Options in the realm of super cheesy shows like Victorious and iCarly, both airing on TeenNick; a network where all creativity and intelligence has been swiped, a network far from existence in my prime. To further my point, while babysitting I have watched edgy episodes of Phineas and Ferb, aimed directly at our youth. These evil/snotty, parent-less, dreamworld characters provide such a false sense of reality.

The generation above and beyond my own could argue this same thing about the programs of my liking, but I'm going to disagree with them--Hey Arnold! is definitely an upgrade from the snoozer Rocky and Bullwinkle productions they had to choose from. Regardless of our difference in opinions, I'm almost certain, everyone can agree the sanitary genius in child programming was lost after the '90s.

Not that wholesome television did anything for my own generation, but perhaps this throwback will inspire those in charge to permanently bring back the good stuff... or create decent rival shows of the '10s.

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember some of the shows you mentioned, Kenan and Kel? But I recall catching a kid or two digging thru the cereal box for the prize!:-)Do they even put prizes in cereal anymore?

    Some Bryant family favorites from the early 90's: Darkwing Duck, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (cowabunga!), Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, and Bobby's World. Oh, and of course The Adventures of Winnie the Pooh! How could I forget Pooh?!

    :-) Meredith

    ReplyDelete