Sunday, August 21, 2011

I'm picking up good vibrations

The Beach Boys were back at Wolf Trap this weekend, a full two years since my previous opportunity to see them perform. After having a ball last time--I definitely wanted to revisit the experience. At 70 years of age with an agenda entailing 200 shows per year Mike Love is a spectacle. I long for this sort of passion in my future career path(!!!). Over the course of two years, there seemed to be a slight decline in energy, however, don't get me wrong... he still has a mighty ability to liven up a crowd of a diverse range in age.
Actually though, I am in awe of Canada R--the B.F.F. of my father--instead. This man knows the entire history of the Beach Boys, he belts out each lyric, the set lists are filed away in his brain, he conducts business with the band, he dances for large crowds during personal shout-outs, he travels the globe to see live shows, and he dresses the part. One of the greatest pleasures in any experience is sharing it with someone who radiates enthusiasm. From the minute Canada R arrived at our place late last night, throughout today, and into this evening he captivated me with his tales. In the midst of his difficult year, he remains joyful in his current season--getting out to these concerts is clearly a delight.
He is a very generous man, sharing this day--including his backstage time--with a friend... and the family (plus) of this friend. This would be average show is incredible in the presence of a true celebrity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment