Friday, August 5, 2011

Being a Nuisance

What I think is thanks to a big lawsuit against the United States Peace Corps right now, I get lots of, at this point, unnecessary special care. One of these "perks" is phone calls from Peace Corps. These calls from the Care and Counseling unit would most accurately be described as check-ups. I find them fake, cheesy, judgmental... far from helpful. It might be my fault; I had to beg and plead and scream and direct the people of this organization simply to track down my luggage. In turn, this brought out a lot of extra baggage, none of the sort I had hoped for---clothes, books, camping equipment, my phone. 

So, here we are, July 28 and my phone rings while I am out with my family. It's a 202 number... which immediately ruins my day.

The message left on my phone--you're all shocked I actually listened to voicemail--yielded the caller's name and a brief summary of our last phone call. According to The Man I had some good things going for me. Yes, last time he checked-in I recall being unemployed, watching friends carry out my dreams, having no place of my own to call home, or future plans of any sorts. Definitely some awesome things going for me! In addition, in our June discussion, per usual, I asked about the parents of T.C.M., knowing full well The Man would not legally be able to give me any indication of how they were doing. To be fair, I muted myself to hide the crying while The Man repeated his go-to line on confidentiality. I fully respect their need for privacy and figured it was best to end the conversation there.

Since then, of no help from Peace Corps, I have found my own way of sharing, having questions answered, and finding the comfort and closure necessary for the next phase.

My sentiment to Peace Corps: if you want to chat-it-up, get in line behind the multitude of friends I have been neglecting these past couple of days. Realize calling near the third will never be a good idea... unless you have a job offer or a means of getting me into my first choice graduate school. Much appreciated.   

[Disclaimer: I hate to bash The (particular) Man calling, and I need to add, there have been many wonderful people from Peace Corps who, with guidance, have helped me along the way. This voicemail was necessary for perspective. I was a huge advocate of the organization, that is, until October 24, 2010 when the organization "acted in my best interest" by removing me from service.] 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Sam, I found your blog via Peace Corps Journals and you have an incredible story, one that has similarities to my own. I too was forced to end my Peace Corps service way too early and one of my good friends passed away within our first week at our sites. Our situations are different but I can relate to some of your emotions. After a few months in America, I have been reassigned to Lesotho and will be leaving in October to teach. If you would be up for it, I would love to talk to you via email. Feel free to contact me at heathermmangan@gmail.com or check out my blog at heathermangan.wordpress.com. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete