Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Magnitude 5.8, Part 2

Then [yesterday] at 1:51 PM, as I was savoring the gorgeous fall-like afternoon, there was an actual East Coast earthquake, centered 90 miles from my Virginian location. The entire deck structure began to shake. Before I could even comprehended the event, everything had settled--I again became engrossed with my book.

Until... my mom, panicking, insisted on dragging me off the deck and sending me to the front yard to congregate with my brothers. We all later admitted to failing earthquake education by seeking shelter outdoors--the best place being indoors under/within a door frame.

Twitter was rolling instantly with witty takes on the event. The cell lines were down (or overloaded). We turned on the local news(!!!) where every account of the quake, lasting only seconds, was ridiculously portrayed by the media. We as individuals ache for the uncommon experience. The NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams even coined the term 'tremor envy' for those who never felt the shake. Learning all were safe, I could not understand why the discussion needed to continue.

But it seemed there was too much dramatic symbolism not to post. This was a gentle reminder of the little authority we possess; one minute all is normal while the next can linger beyond our control. We were lucky; we had a healthy peek into the before, during, and after of an earthquake with no true aftermath. Until yesterday, relating to the frequent earthquakes my West Coast uncle experiences was near impossible. Through this incident I have gained perspective, I am more equipped to comprehend future instances because I have survived. I used that term lightly, distinguishing the magnitude of this earthquake from those of a more deadly caliber.

My story entails a lack of understanding by the general masses; I do not wish these conditions on anyone. Through writing I have an outlet for sharing the heavy load, providing what understanding I can while sorting out the confusion, and best of all--releasing emotions has connected me with a few amazing individuals.

I acquired insight living through an earthquake; life is an adventure--never dull--and quite a learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment