Monday, August 31, 2009

"you think you're radical, but you're not so radical"

I am constantly frustrated by the amount of waste Americans produce. In fact, it disgusts me! I am by no means perfect and still think I produce far too much waste, but I am trying to make an effort to reduce. I guess what really annoys me the most is that in an era of change people make no effort at all. Things like recycling and composting require next to no effort! Go ahead, make remarks about how a lot of our recycling gets thrown away, and it has or can, but really its no wonder! Recyling can't compete with waste (here in America anyway). We are severly lacking the infrastructure. We were set up for failure early in life because our market was based on comsumerism. If you have not seen the Story of Stuff you should jump on it. Its a quick show on production and consumtion in the US that will really opens your eyes!

My own parents cook enough food to feed an army every night and rarely eat the leftovers. Not too mention we have enough food in our freezer, fridge, pantry to last us a month without shopping... which means fruits and veggies go bad, bread molds, and cereal gets stale. So next time you are shopping (go European) buy only what you need, please! Food waste is only one type, and if you do not care at all about the earth at least try to save some money (in the food department).

I hope I am not imagining things when I dream about Lesotho. My picturesque world where everyone uses every resource available to them and wastes very little. Oh it warms my heart!

"You can never get enough of what you don't need to make you happy." (Eric Hoffer)

No comments:

Post a Comment