Thursday, August 13, 2009

C.D.

Today C.D. heads back to Athens to begin his junior year of college. It is settling in that I have graduated and he is halfway there. That does not mean I will forget the days of building tree forts and finding tadpoles at the creek, but it does mean we are growing up. Sigh, real life! For selfish reasons I am glad he was not able to find a job this summer and was forced to come live at home! This meant more time bonding, vacationing, and hiking. While I have three months left, it is only three days in the presence of C.D.

We are extremely close and have been our entire lives. Our personalities, however, are opposites in almost every way. I am a saver, he is a spender. I am clean and organized, he is a mess and lives in utter chaos. I am outgoing, he is reserved. I am involved and passionate, he is content relaxing and catching the little things life has to offer. I choose no meat, he chooses Angus Third-Pounders at McDonalds. The list goes on...

For the past 20 years of my life the only thing we have been separated by is 20 months, but soon we will also be separated by distance. It is probably going to be one of the hardest, if not the hardest thing about leaving. We keep in touch with random texts, visits to each others college of choice, and phone calls. When I leave he promises to write me letters... and I can't wait to get them. They will be funny, I'm sure. And if for no other reason just to update me on our most common interest, sports!

I really admire him. He has his own sense of style, and I think he really knows who he is or who he is becoming. I wish I could remain as confident and calm as he does in his decisions and where life is taking him. He really rolls with the punches of life.

C.D. you always offer a new perspective on life, one my type A personality would have missed. Thanks for being there, thanks for your support, thanks for your friendship! I will miss your sense of humor, afternoons hiking, your music recommendations, and much much more. I am sorry I am going to miss the next two years but I will be there is spirit and to support your decisions each step of the way (even if it is a month after the fact).

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you imagined" (Roosevelt)

No comments:

Post a Comment