Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Purging

I used to be a major pack-rat, saving everything from movie ticket stubs, to trophies, to wrappers of candy bars when they changed label designs. After moving four times in six years (and the encouragement of my friend J.L.W.) I have become a purger. I really enjoy living the simple life and I find I do not miss the clutter I throw away or donate. Right now, I am stumped. There are three things I cannot bring myself to get rid of; my five year collection of Runners World magazine (which I am still subscribed too), my old t-shirts, and my books. It is all really silly. For one, I cannot take any of these things with me to Africa, not to mention I simply do not use these things I cling to. I do occasionally occur refer back to Runners World for some advice but my running career has been slow go lately. The t-shirts, yes everyone can use a t-shirt... but who needs 90 t-shirts? No one! K.N.K. once told me she found it hard to believe I had so many t-shirts because I wore the same shirts over and over. It's true, I am attached to the same 10 t-shirts! So why, why I ask can't I get rid of the other 80? On the up side I am proud to say I did not pick up any extra shirts in Maine or New Hampshire which is usually a travel requirement! Finally, I think most can agree on the books, once I read them I NEVER pick them up again. Not a reader by nature I think my problem here is my pride. Seeing a book on my bookshelf means I have read it, and that in and of itself is an accomplishment!

My second problem is my loving mother who by nature is a major pack rat! She has saved everything, and I am not kidding when I say everything from our childhood. Some examples include; report cards from my kindergarten years (and everyone after), every certificate I ever received, name-tags, McDonalds toys, art work. You get the picture. Knowing this, you can imagine her delight when she saw me trying to throw away all my art work this morning! I am not going to lie and tell you C.D. and I did not have a good time going through it, but I think that is the first time EVER in my life I have opened that box... besides to add art work to the collection. I just have this big feeling (after watching my dad receive his old treasures from his parents) when I get back and get my own place they are going to start sending me boxes of stuffed animals or my old school work and frankly, I do not want it. My solution: I wrote several loving notes to my parents and placed them in all these Rubbermaids telling them that I have been threw them and I am 100% okay with them trashing or donating each and every single piece of junk!

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Can you put some similar post-its around my house for my Dad? When we were trying to decide what to leave in G'ville and what to bring home today, he was so spastic. I mean... we have towels and shampoo at our house.

    ReplyDelete