Sunday, August 23, 2009

D.C. United


Last night as the rained came down on all the fans and players, C.A. and I lived the high life!  We enjoyed the D.C. United game under the shelter of the VW Lounge; free drinks, free food, & nice clean bathrooms.  It's pure bliss!  However, there are two things I can't quite wrap my head around when enjoying the games and all the benefits of the lounge.  First and foremost, Volkswagen sponsors D.C. United.  Does anyone else think it is ironic that a foreign company sponsors the capitol of the United States soccer team?  My other confusion pertains to the food served in the lounge.  I am not complaining, its free, but they serve German food cooked by Americans for Americans.  It is not that there are no Germans working in America for Volkswagen, but the large majority are American.  It just seems a little off... so veggie burgers please!   
As much as we all love D.C. United, most of the fans were gathered to watch David Beckham and Landon Donovan.  After watching countless soccer games of my brothers, M.E.C., and the Kansas City Wizards, even playing a few games myself I have a general appreciation of the sport.  The final score of last nights game was 0-0.  There is something to said about a competitive sport where no one scores or the score ends in a tie with no actual winner.  If nothing else, the fact that these players run up to ten miles in a single 90 minutes game is impressive.  There game requires them to be patient and sharp among other things; super fast (especially Donovan), agile, aware of their surroundings, quick on there feet, competitive, and in incredible shape.  While soccer is by no means my favorite sport, I am mesmerized by the sport.    

No comments:

Post a Comment