Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Star UNstruck

Instead of asking me if I wanted to go see a Beach Boys concert my parents asked me if I wanted to go see Mike Love perform. Sure, who is that? was my response. Only the lead singer of the Beach Boys. Maybe as someone who is relatively in touch with the music scene I should have known this, although I am sure I do not stand alone in not knowing who Mike Love is, in my age class anyways. Probably more striking is the fact that I did not know who John Stamos was. I played it cool as I watched everyone freak out until C.A. finally mentioned Uncle Jesse. It was only then I realized it was one of the stars of Full House (ER, General Hospital, etc.) all the excitement was about. As an extreme Full House fan in my time I had no idea what Uncle Jesse's real name was.

This past weekend was full of celebrities, from David Beckham and the LA Galaxy to Mike Love and the Beach Boys. I am going to be honest though, celebrities are not at all impressive to me! They live extremely undesirable lives! It is not that they do not accomplish a lot during their time or that they do not do anything to better the world. It is more the fact that they are constantly being watched, judged, and followed. There is absolutely no privacy! It is a little weird we have these obsessions with people we do not even know. I am not going to tell you it was not fun backstage meeting them, having our pictures taken, and singing on stage... but a part of me felt so awkward. I am confident they are used to this behavior but still...

I appreciate celebrities entertaining me on television, enjoying an occasional movie, and I am definitely thankful when they produce good music. I just do not care to stalk them in US Weekly or People or any other celebrity gossip column. I am not interested in where they live or how they chose to live. Do not ask me for help identifying them. I can't tell you Halle Berry from Angelina Jolie. And if I was forced to pick a favorite celebrity, it would be Katie Couric! Now if we are talking about sports celebrities that is a-whole-nother story. I probably would have been stoked if I got to play baseball with Jeff Francoeur, get an autographed football from Bo Schembechler, or have my picture taken with Tony Gonzalez!

No comments:

Post a Comment