Friday, April 1, 2011

Your feet are the foundation of your life.

Narrowing my shoes collection was the most challenging part of packing I recall. For those volunteers heading out, my do not leave home without recommendations are as follows:
  1. Chacos. I wore them every single day throughout three of the four seasons.
  2. Danskos. Made for comfort and all day long use, with great arch support. These were my go-to shoes for working in the winter.
  3. Duck Boots. Faulty weather, rain or snow these never let me down.
Originally these three shoes were included on my 'must have' belongings list, but it would have brought my total items to 13, which is such an ugly, worthless prime number. This is unless we are referring to a bakers dozen, where the number 13 is never stated--simply implied.

Onwards. Understand there is a lot of walking in Africa. I alone walked a minimum of two hours every single day, plus usually found an additional 30 minutes to exercise. Shoes are not to be under rated, even the boys would agree. The other five pairs I was happy to have but could have managed without.
  • Running Shoes. My village chose to make running difficult by kindly throwing rocks at me. Each experience is different as I had several friends who were able to establish regular running routines in their villages.
  • Hiking-tennis shoe style-Boots. The "hiking" is nothing like America. Rugged sandals will always suffice and usually be preferred.
  • Rainbows (or sturdy flip flops). I was glad I had Rainbows because while flip flops can be purchased in Lesotho rather affordably they are not great quality. They do, however serve their purpose.
  • Nice Flats. A nice pair of flats were great for swearing in, special events at school, and vacation. Definitely got plenty of use out of them--enough that I found lugging them along worth it. It was nice to have the option to mix it up from time to time.
  • UGG Moccasins. It's debatable if I could have truly lived without these. They were my 'indoor' shoes, allowing me to keep not only my feet warm during the ungodly cold winter but also my hut clean...er. Slippers can also be purchased in country, those owning UGG Moccasins know once you invest in these shoes, other slippers don't exist.
Ultimate Packing Advice(!!!): Bring shoes and clothes you actually wear in America. All of these shoes were well loved before I took off. They represented me. If you have never hiked a day in your life--you probably will not start in Lesotho and you won't need them to handle the terrain. Save the money set aside to invest in hiking boots for vacation, then thank me later. Say you are one of those girls who prances around in high heels or cute flats everyday, you'll fit right in wearing those same shoes in Lesotho. As an added bonus the culture is quite hygienic and respects the well dressed.

Relax. You won't miss your things. Spend time with the people you will long for. Eat delicious food you will crave the minute you hop off the plane. Visit the places that you enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment