Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Hierarchy of Love (College)

Clemson University. My notorious negative attitude towards this institution will most likely never change. That being said, I will not deny after four years here and a grand effort to ward off the orange (and purple) I was pulled in. I am no where close to the fan I should be. I would rather not watch them lose heartbreaker after heartbreaker. I did, however, attend all but two home football games during my stay, plus an additional minimum of one away game a season. My spirit soared when it came to Clemson basketball--I was 'all-in' particularly during my junior year when I refused to miss a single home game. I am still anticipating the day someone at this university wakes up and realizes basketball is where it is at in the Athletic Coast Conference (ACC), especially considering Clemson is not winning multiple ACC football championships in this pathetic division. You could also find me in attendance at several soccer matches, even more baseball games, and some track meets too. What my second high school lacked in school spirit, Clemson made up for it a tenfold. Solid Orange: It's About Pride (and winning)... but mainly pride!

The University of Georgia. Soon-to-be the alma matter of my younger brother. What is not too love about Athens--there is music, dining options, bars with tradition and character, entertainment for students, a daily newspaper, a gymnastics team(!!!), bike races, and more. Without UGA as an escape from tiny tiger town my last two years of college I might have lost my mind. As far as the hierarchy of love goes, Georgia frankly wins a lot more than Clemson, in all sports. It was easy to jump on this bandwagon. The football is tough--every game is watch worthy. As for basketball... I'm a fan of upsets and pleasant surprises, recall the 2008 Southeastern Conference Tournament? Note: The Dream Dawgs.

Kansas University. I was born and bred in this great and highly underrated state. Lets talk about real basketball and phenomenal coaches (both on and off the court). If I have not mentioned Kansas within five minutes of meeting you--something is off. Every child I babysit for knows the lyrics to "I'm a little Jayhawk" and is constantly looking for this fictional bird sitting amongst the tree branches on any given morning. This helps to prevent any child in my path from forming uneducated biases against Kansas (the state, in general). The trend is unveiling itself--I will pull for most any school I feel a connection to. My fanship for Kansas is covered with the numerous people in my circle holding diplomas or currently in attendance there today.

University of Michigan. The brainwashing began at birth as this is the alma matter of my father. Our basement is littered with Michigan paraphernalia! The games were screened on our television as pops took his post-golf Saturday afternoon nap and friendly rivalries formed with neighbors. Furthermore this university is a huge supporter and fan of Peace Corps, and indeed the location where it all began. Perhaps foreshadowing a potential grad school candidate?

Michigan State University. While growing up U of M football dominated all fall, with the turn of the weather the passion was channeled at State basketball. I have been reminded on numerous occasions that my mom attended school with Magic Johnson and has met Tim Izzo's mother. Even in disappointing years (ahem, 2011) the dedication to her team remains at an all time high. An overwhelming visit to the campus in my youth never put MSU on my student radar, that doesn't mean I can't or won't pull for them athletically! And realistically speaking, how can you not like Sparty?

So there is technically no hierarchy of love, it's situational.

No comments:

Post a Comment