Saturday, April 16, 2011

Penpals

One of the best feelings in the world is getting a letter in the mail. It's unbeatable. I have been writing to my grandparents (on both sides) and my great aunt for over six years. This started my freshman year of college and never stopped. This has been a unique way to track memorable moments, illnesses, and day-to-day life.

Let's get one thing straight though--I despise cards with signatures. They are the absolute biggest waste of time (both the sender and receiver), money, and the environment. If you going to spend actual money on a cheesy card, you best writing something in there that is meaningful to the recipient. Now you know: birthday cards, holiday cards, sympathy cards--get out!

And while learning all about my grandma's full life (ahem tennis, golf, work, mentoring, bridge, volunteering, and social events galore at 78) through writing is inspiring; it wasn't until my family and friends started writing to me in Africa that I captured a true appreciation for snail-mail. Here in America we have the eco-friendly and efficient email option. We also have phones for chatting and texting. Those options were available overseas too, on a much more limited basis. Writing letters was definitely the most dependable form of communication.

Everyone has their own unique style and varying levels of dedication. I saw my friends through a totally new light. Their writing styles were unveiled, their personalities shone through their words. Some included every mundane detail of life, others made strong attempts at getting a laugh out of me, a few told stories they thought I would appreciate, a number sent only postcards allowing me to follow them through their own adventures.

As a result of my abrupt departure there were many changes I was forced to instantly readjust too. I am glad letter writing was not one of them. Now I am corresponding with a completely different set of people--my fellow volunteers. This gives me the chance to not only still write but to live vicariously through them. I would like to believe it gives them a chance to write to someone who 'gets it' back here in America.
These were people I knew for essentially 1o months, yet have become an extended (dysfunctional) family because of the nature of our circumstances. Writing adds another unique perspective to these already dynamic friendships. I actually know more about many of their experiences now, then I ever did serving along side them. Smile.

The flow of exchange is in a different directions. My tales are of a new variety. The dedication remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment