Monday, April 25, 2011

Next Step

For nearly four months I have inhabited a space that is not my own. Numerous reminders have constantly encouraged me to make myself at home. I have been included in family dinners and outings. The generosity expressed is indescribable. I couldn't possibly do justice to the R.L. family for taking me in--so so very appreciative.

My parents were more than willing to welcome me at home. I chose to come down South where I am closer to friends and my brother, with the added bonus of a short-term opportunity for work.

At a time when my friends are developing routines, establishing themselves in new cities, have plans beyond tomorrow I find myself [stuck] in between. I have had active weeks scattered between bouts of illness. There have been blissful weekends in the company of friends and plenty of solo time in nature. Other weeks I have creatively entertained little ones to the point I can't conceive getting out of bed on the weekends. There have clearly been ups-and-downs throughout the time here (that's life), most concerning is I do not feel as though I am 'playing my part' and instead forging ahead. I am moving with speed and lacking purpose.

May 6th is my last day of work with the L family, that's approximately 4380 minutes of employment left. I don't know what tomorrow holds and frankly it feels freeing. Perhaps I will spend the entire summer traveling? Studying for the GRE? Maybe a 'pay-the-bills' job while living on a friends couch? Laying out at the pool with my mom and playing with the new family puppy? Full time dedication to filling out applications for an actual career job?

Limitless options make it quite difficult to develop a definitive plan, and at 23 I already learned the danger of sticking too close to a plan. Instead of rushing into anything, I'm experimenting with where I am. The entire path need not be clear as the best plan is often no plan.

"A dangerous thing happens when we follow a trail: we stop paying attention to the environment. Since the trail is so easy to follow, we allow our minds to wander and neglect to observe where we are." (Peter Bregman)

No comments:

Post a Comment