Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Worthy Writing

I began blogging close to two years ago. At the time it began as a way to track the my expeditions briefly before, during, and post-Lesotho Peace Corps experience. Since then it has become a spastic recollection of my story as it unravels. There isn't a particular part of my day set aside for writing and posts often result is notes recorded over a months time.

I have contemplated calling it quits. My main reason for doing so being the time commitment it requires. The truth is though, I thoroughly enjoy the process of recording and this blog provides an outlet to capture my life. Most days it is something I did or observed. Other days it's a quote I read or a follow up to a recent conversation with a friend. Some days it is an emotion.

Journals fill up and hands get tired of physically writing--leaving details left out. Here everything is chronological, can be ordered by topic, and even allows family to keep up at their own will. In addition, I appreciate, when appropriate, having the ability to accompany stories with photos. A picture often is worth a thousand words.

Lastly, and perhaps more important than my pure entertainment, the real reason I continue to blog is the hope that somehow through this note system my writing will improve while enhancing my vocabulary. I want to grow with words.

"Ideas can come from anywhere at any time. The problem with making mental notes is that the ink fades very rapidly." (Rolf Smith)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sammy,

    I for one would be very sad if you stopped blogging. Although we have never met, thru Parker & PC Lesotho I feel a connection to you and enjoy visiting your blog and finding out what you are up to. Or what thoughts are on your mind.

    You are a terrific writer and your picture do say a lot. So please keep your blog rolling!

    Hope you are having a wonderful spring and enjoying all the outdoor activities that come with nice weather.

    I keep you in my thoughts. All my best.

    xo Meredith

    ReplyDelete