Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Currently Reading

My parents read to me as a child and both read a bit themselves. In my youth I was much more concerned with developing my own plot than reading about any made-up one. In college I had a revelation with literature. A roommate introduced me to Jodi Picoult, which later expanded to the discovery of my favorite genre and eventually to reading some format of the news on a daily basis.

The past seven months I have had trouble concentrating on text (or much of anything for that matter), but Kindle in hand and nearly four months behind I am prepared to tackle my measly 25 books read a year goal.

I find my interest is held best when I read multiple books at the same time. This way when one is slow I can switch it up. I always have a book that challenges my thinking. This entails a book on global aid, environmental ethics, or nutrition--but not dieting. These books are meant to enrich my knowledge on these topics most near and dear to my heart. I recently started reading Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer. I must confess I am not far into this book, but as a huge fan of this author I have no doubt it will live up to my expectations and probably convince me to reunite with my vegetarian ways. They are typically more dry and technical...

Which is why I like to have a book for pleasure on hand. The book of choice is The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. A book I have been dying to get my hands on since it came out a year ago, especially after learning her story from a scientific standpoint in my undergrad years. Many positive recommendations, can't make my own yet as I'm also in the early phases of this book. I recently finished The Help by Kathryn Stockett and Little Bee by Chris Cleave, both of which I would highly encourage everyone to read.

My third book is (always) of the audio format--currently the well known and loved Harry Potter. Right now I have about wrapped up my listening to the third one. You can read them once or twice... or seven times through. Each time I commit to the series it gets better. These are so far from my normal genre, but the detail of the plot in this creative story captivates me, making this series exhilarating year after year.

Making up for lost time--that's what I'm reading.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sammy,

    If you liked THE HELP and LITTLE BEE, I highly recommend the following books:

    ONE THOUSAND WHITE WOMEN by Jim Fergus
    A RELIABLE WIFE by Robert Goolrick
    RESCUING OLIVIA by Julie Compton

    And if you want some thing light, entertaining, and quick; or what I call "beach reads":

    TAKE THE MONKEYS AND RUN by Karen Cantwell
    REUNION by J.L. Penn

    Happy reading!

    :-) Meredith

    ReplyDelete