Monday, April 4, 2011

42 Pairs Isn't Enough

In order for my outfit, which is rarely more exciting than a t-shirt and jeans, to be complete the shoes must match my mood. Determined. Celebratory. Dorky. Energetic. Blissful. Happy. Mischievous. Relaxed. Each pair of shoes has character, relating to specific frame of mind.

This being said, my minimalist self is in the midst of a major battle with the American pursuit of tangible things. Over the past couple of weeks I have been struggling to find the right shoes to flow with the day-to-day range of emotions. Considering I already own far too many shoes to disclose this experience has been ultra frustrating.

Perhaps you read my post from late last week on the African days, where I was limited to eight options. (That was supposed to serve as a healthy reminder I am not in need! Fail.) Sure, some days my limitations got old and there were lots of times I dreamed of how my readjustment allowance would be spent. With a steady job and allowance in hand--American consumerism finally wore me down.

A few long outings of retail therapy, including six(!!!) new pairs of shoes, later I am much more satisfied with my selection. Gross--the companies/advertisers won. I take full responsibility for my lack of will power and acknowledge my hypocritical ways, especially when it comes to shoes.

Feeling more materialistic than ever, equipped with my new shoes, I am thankful this spending binge has been short lived and thus far, there hasn't been any true buyers remorse.

Back to my enoughism ways but not before justifying:

"Give a girl the right shoes, and she can conquer the world." (Marilyn Monroe)

No comments:

Post a Comment