Saturday, March 26, 2011

Silent Break

If you want to experience an entirely empty campus, it turns out summer is not the time. This past week I learned Spring Break in Clemson is when you get the place to yourself. It's eerily quite, the townies are simply not enough to keep the show going. The students head off to varying spring break destinations and the locals are left to their own devices--literally, as several restaurants and businesses shut down.
Truthfully I had been dreading this past week of work. Living and working in a college town without the perks of student-hood can at times be challenging. It turned out this week was exactly the opposite. Away from work I caught up on sleep, wore frumpy clothes, read a book, did a little birding, and toured the campus. The students missed a solid five days of clear skies and low 70 degree temperatures of which I was able to take full advantage of peacefully people-less.

1 comment:

  1. I feel you, Sam! I always love the slow times in Clemson - and Spring Break and Christmas Break are the times for it! I'm looking forward to dinner or coffee/tea again soon :) Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete