Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Indecisive Future

I wrote this bit on September 19, 2009 before I left for Peace Corps:

The Peace Corps is probably the only thing I have consistently known I want to do long before it actually became a reality. Lots of people have been asking me what I want to do when I get back from the Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho. How do you know I am coming back? My cover: I want to come back and go to graduate school for environmental engineering (only if it's paid in full by the Environmental Protection Agency). People approve. I can move on.

In all honestly I have no idea what I want to do. Yes, engineering sounds great... but I have a passionate disinterest in formal learning. Being out of school, traveling to new places, working fancy nanny jobs while living at home has been fantastic. I have no desire to go back to school. And that, my friends will definitely become a major point of contention upon my return. People told me I had to go to college. I thought that was the end. Turns out, it's not. Now apparently grad school is in. The Peace Corps will hopefully guide me to the direction I need. Making up my mind now, knowing nothing is certain would probably be a disappointment. That being said I have never been one for super long term planning, I am definitely more into scheming.

All I see in my future is saving the world and happiness. That might be changing the way one friend lives, guiding the children of tomorrow to a new way of thinking, drastically cutting back on my waste, or in an ideal world, working on a major effort to make living sustainably work.

Here I am, today March 8, 2011 not sure why I never published this brief post. It's amazing after everything that happened in the past year and a half how much is still the same, seems I was wise beyond my years. Quite disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment