Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Must Have Items

In two months from today a new set of eager volunteers will board a plane to the Forgotten Kingdom where they will be greeted by seasoned volunteers who have long awaited new faces.

I wish the newbies fresh starts and a smooth training--this will hands down be the most challenging part. May they show lots of love for a country that might effortlessly break them down, demand too much at times, and often act beyond the volunteers control.

For my cohort still serving, encourage these youthful faces, be open to their ideas, and rejuvenated by their desire and passion to serve and grow. Remember what it was like to be in their shoes and how discouraging the experienced volunteers were at times.

The more reality sets in here the louder I cheer for those of you still fortunate enough to be living and working is Lesotho. Your happiness, safety, and health will continue to be utmost important for success in your final months.

Two months till take off is when I actually put a little thought into the 80 lbs coming with me to Africa. This list is as much an excuse to reminisce as it is meant to help future volunteers through frustration. These are the tangibles I found necessary are listed below.
  1. My weekend pants. These were essentially capri length comfy pants--not as tight as leggings and less frumpy than sweat pants. I'm someone you would rarely, if ever find in a skirt in America nevertheless was willing and open-minded about conforming in Lesotho, at the very least for the sake of my reputation. All those words to say I thoroughly appreciated the nights and weekend spent in these special pants.
  2. Rain Coat. When it rains, it pours. And when it rains, you will not be cuddled up on a comfy couch eating bon-bons. Rain is a season in Africa.
  3. My pocket knife. I used it all the time, for everything. This is an item I found quite handy in America before departure. If you don't use one in your current lifestyle, not worth purchasing. Perhaps instead, unlike myself, you're into cooking? This knife is will change your life, pack it.
  4. My crank/solar flashlight shortwave radio combo. I purchased this specifically for my Peace Corps adventure. I ended up having electricity yet still managed to use a flashlight (night trips to the latrine, power outages) everyday. Living in the mountains I was not able to access shortwave at my actual site--the amount of BBC I listened to in training alone was worth the price.
  5. iPod. My iPod and I go everywhere together because life without music, well it's no life at all. Most volunteers will disagree, but I would have been perfectly content without a computer. Even in a hut with electricity where I was able to freely charge my computer, I opted for listening to podcasts and watching television on my iPod when alone.
  6. Speakers for my iPod. The one my parents mailed me rocked, only using two Duracell AA Batteries in four months with about eight hours of use a day.
  7. Nalgene. You can buy plastic water bottles in Lesotho the same way you can here in America. You don't purchase them here therefore you won't do it there. Peace Corps hooks you up with a filtering system and pots for boiling water (or cooking if you skills exceed this task). Keep your Nalgene or Sigg, whatever your preference, full--your body and mother earth will be oh so grateful.
  8. My preferred American face-wash. You can buy face-wash along with soap, shampoo, conditioner, and toothpaste in Lesotho. I never felt the face-wash was on par with America; in like manner I opted for American deodorant.
  9. Sleeping Bag. Travel in and out of country. Brutal Winters. Hosting Visitors. Enough said.
  10. V5 Pilot Pens. The pen selection in Lesotho is minimal and the quality is lacking. Writing letters, grading papers, or making lists in fancy colored pens might not delight you the way it does me--bring one item that makes you happy.
If I can't wake up to pigs snorting, rain leaking through my hut, and middle sister knocking on my door with a warm slice of bread forever, it's time for someone else to be given the opportunity. Do enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment