Monday, March 28, 2011

haha, ha, hahaha

E.J.R., my mentor of sorts recently pointed out the overuse of the 'haha' expression from my generation. I swore off 'lol' long ago--that phrase is utterly obnoxious. I am or more correctly, had been a (big) fan of the 'haha' until this conversation. I started paying attention and suddenly was completely aware of how heavily I relied on this tag line.

The past 16 of the 17 text messages I have received used 'haha' at some point in the text. And I won't fail to mention, the one that didn't was from my mother. I am struck by the realization E.J.R. is on to something while I have been obliviously abusing 'haha' to the extent I have no idea what the silly two or four letter word, depending on your preference, means. The best part of the 'haha' tag line just might be the ability for it to mean anything and nothing at all simultaneously.

I parted ways with 'haha' five days ago and have found our separation incredibly difficult, already slipping up once since then. Expressing emotion or lightening the mood without a simple 'haha' is a task I am finding near impossible.

It only takes one to change the trend...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lord, child! I seriously feel your pain. I will have a difficult time writing this without a "haha" because I was cracking up reading your post! I have always hated LOL, but I thought "haha" was an acceptable substitution. However, over the past couple of months, I have become more annoyed with it. It is most definitely overused...no doubt, but it does help lighten the mood of what you are trying to convey. It is easy for a message to get lost in translation online, but I think you're right...we have to find a way to overcome it. hah-d'oh. Oh no! I can't do it!! :)

    ReplyDelete