Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I wish I may, I wish I might

Happy Birthday Peace Corps! You turned old today. Here is to a wishful birthday.

You introduced me to foreign lands. Acquainted me with several dynamic people while strengthening relationships at home. Taught me how to cope with the lowest of lows. Showed me the highest of highs. Allowed me to promote peace and friendship with host country nationals. Made learning a new language fun. Encouraged me try new activities. Increased my self confidence. Opened my eyes to simplicity.

You are quite possibly the most frustrating and disorganized mess any one bureaucratic organization can claim to be. After all, it's even uncertain as to when exactly your birthday is. Today marks 50 years since you became an executive order--so it's today that I'll celebrate. It wasn't till late August (the 28th to be exact) that the first volunteers shipped off. I'd rather be celebrating from Lesotho and if it couldn't be there, where it all began. No, not at the University of Michigan, rather Ghana.

And it's only because you gave me way more than you could ever take away that my wish is your candles will burn for years to come. Beyond that I hope for positive adventures for all future volunteers--that they may never see or go through what the Peace Corps Lesotho family experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment