Friday, March 25, 2011

Broken Boy

When C.D. breaks a bone he goes all out--completely shattering the bone. This tradition began when he was a sophomore in high school and again, now his senior year in college. First his knee, this time his fingers.

I try and block most of the knee injury out of my memory, it's a story worth hearing only from the man himself. All I remember (and this is terribly embarrassing) is how it effected my life. My most vivid memory entails becoming nauseous at the sight of my once vivacious 15 year old brother who had become an unable to walk on his own, frail, pale body. In addition, I recall collecting his school work each day, much later transitioning into driving him to school and walking him slowly to class. My downstairs bedroom with my own bathroom was sacrificed, nine years ago that was such a big deal--happily reporting I have grown a little. After being hospitalized (in three different places) for quite some time there was the obvious incredible length of time he was out of commission.

This time the injury has similarly entailed multiple broken bones (on different fingers), surgery, physical therapy, and a conglomerate of casks. The location seems to be slightly less debilitating and his age permits him to employ his own coping mechanisms.
He's handicap-able.
Happy healing, brittle bones!

No comments:

Post a Comment