Monday, September 26, 2011

Shakin' the Southland

This year! This year! This year! In their only two televised games thus far the Clemson Tigers have beat back-to-back ranked opponents. Early in week three, televised game one, the ACC Tigers were down by not one, but two touchdowns to the Auburn Tigers. So I sort of kind of pretended to watch the Clemson/Auburn game... meaning I found a lot less heartache in viewing the Michigan Wolverines dominate the Eagles of Eastern Michigan. When halftime rolled around the talking heads started to annoy me, but not before passing along the news Clemson and Auburn were tied at 21.

My confidence vaulted along side my team; my commitment to the second half was going to entail wearing my heart on my sleeve. Already making excuses to cover this decision. It was a valiant effort; even if we don't win--I witnessed faith and heart on the field. And let me take a second and explain right here.... in the South they love them some--believing in the will of God--higher explanation for the flip-floppingest college football team, the beloved Clemson Tigers.

In the second half the Tigers of the SEC were held to a, as in one, field goal. There was: an explosive offensive, a maturing defense with the ability to make big plays, and a quarterback with ball control. I am very unfamiliar with these descriptions in relation to my team because they're associated with consistent winning--the result of the match-up. With our own 3-game winning streak to write home about, a few heads turned as the the nation said buh-bye to a 17-game win streak for the defending national champion.  

I still was not convinced.

Then Clemson kicked Florida State University while they were down. To deepen the wound, Rennie Moore sacked the Seminole's quarterback Clint Trickett with 1:37 remaining. The energy was there, and the starts aligned; Clemson University added another 'W' to the schedule. Division game, conference rivals, potential preseason contenders defeated.

I am still not convinced.

This is a team I have a history with. Is this all build-up for a monumental fail?

Contender or Pretender? Bologna or filet?

This fan is crazy excited for the weekend show-down in Blacksburg. Pulling off a conference road-win would be epic while the loss would be territory Tiger Nation is all too accustomed to.

No comments:

Post a Comment