Monday, September 19, 2011

History of Him

Be warned: east-coast drivers, family, friends, neighbors, pets and small children. Be warned.
At age 16-and-two-months this long awaited weekend was as historic for younger-younger brother, C.A.H., as the "early Christmas" he had hoped for.

Holding a valid licence, he drives... and apparently wakes up early... if it means getting to drive. Following an eleventh-hour Friday night, with an important early afternoon race on the line, he was up (before me, note: historic) and out of the house to transport his out-of-the-way buddy to the meet for the earlier time slot of said friend. Just. Had. To. Drive. Before. 8AM.

C.A.H. is confident on the spot, declaring "Mom, I just know I am going to run fast because now I can drive." This child, yes, child, is a third place state champion debater, winning over an opponent, with evidence, is his forte. He solidified a family personal record at his cross country invitational for proof. Running his heart out, and looking good while doing it, he has earned the right to boast--to his siblings; he is, of Saturday, officially the fastest H child.

And after 24 hours, he respects the cost of gas, finding immediate employment at the sub shop in town.

So in 48 hours, I went from having a younger brother to a freedom seeking phantom. He drives. He runs. He works.

This historic for him, however, I too will remember this weekend, being the one in which I felt aged. I have no memories of April 22, 2004--the day I became a legal driver--other than a marking of the 15th milestone for younger-older brother. Not only are my memories from seven plus years past nonexistent, at the old age of 24 I'm starting to worry. I want him to grow up, just cautiously.

No comments:

Post a Comment