Wednesday, October 21, 2009

My version of high school.

My freshman year of high school I was on top of the world. I had tons of built in friends. I played tennis and soccer (I was terrible at both). I was the fastest runner on the tennis team and the best Shrek impersonator on the soccer team. In gym class I was the lifeguard because I was the only one who swam across the pool without touching the ground. I could have chosen to play the sports that I was better at (cross country? swimming? track?) It never mattered that I was not good at the sports I chose to play because people liked me. Plain and simple.

My world was shattered when my parents decided to move me to the land of southern belles and gentlemen. The move had potential. My attitude failed me miserably. I suddenly could not make anyone crack a smile. The girls laughed at me. The boys were clueless. The administrators did not even give me a chance at the honors program. I ate lunch in the bathroom. I am not kidding you. It was horrible. I went out for cross country and the girls threatened me, told me I was not to run faster than them. I can't describe how emotionally draining fighting a winless battle at 15 was. I wrote letters, spent my nights talking on the phone, searched the internet for affordable flights (although I was willing to pay anything), and cried my heart out. I longed for the days I could move back to Kansas and room with my best friend M.E.C. in college. Life could be good again.

Life would be good again, just not in Kansas.  I managed to make three friends in three years of high school.  The main "threat" on the cross country team graduated. I befriended the coach as his secretary. He believed in me (finally)!  It only took one person.  The temporary hell (that was high school) ended and I moved on to college.  The majority of the people stayed the same.  I changed my attitude, I embraced my inner dork, I made friends, and I enjoyed myself.  

No comments:

Post a Comment