Friday, October 16, 2009

H.C.O.

Regardless of my dislike of lacrosse I managed to befriend a lacrosse player my sophomore year of college. My eventual friend and roommate has been an incredible source of support these past three years. College definitely would have been very different without her. We were inseparable for a chunk of time and distant for another part. I needed her. She is probably the only person who challenges me, really makes me dig deep to defend my opinions. Politically we are on opposite sides of the spectrum. If there is a religious spectrum we are as far apart as you can get. Her motivation is off the charts, mine begs to be noticed. We come from extremely different family backgrounds. She always has a boyfriend, she has family aspirations, she is extremely independent. I can stop. Actually, I can't... not until I mention her ability to quote every episode of every show on TBS. Now the point has been made. We are very different.

Like all good friendships we do have a one thing in common: our newly discovered love of the best show on TV (no folks, it does not air on TBS).

(843): (563) whatever sunny in Philidelphia does on Thursday I am doing all weekend.
(843): I totally drank wine from a soda can last weekend.

You make me laugh. You let me dream. I am not sure who else could have made the long hours in the library bearable. Even when we were barely speaking you complimented me on my leadership of the ultimate nerd club. I was so completely caught off guard I do not think I even muttered a thanks. I am thanking you now, it meant a lot. Why didn't I think of that? The club would have been nowhere without the help of the other officers. You challenge me mentally, but you also challenged me physically. I never would have run in the half marathon if you were not signed up. After the stress fracture I endured during marathon training I was so unmotivated to ever run again. Thanks.

It seems now you are going about your dream of being an OBGYN in a different way, a better more unique way in my opinion. "Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." (Oscar Wilde) That is exactly what you are doing. When medical school seems to be all the rage you are thinking outside the box. Next to you I am a failure. You have accomplished so much in your 21 years of life.

This post was really hard to write because I am near confident you read this blog. Know that you will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment