Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's not for me.

Spending Saturdays watching football and doing nothing else, pure bliss. In spite of this there is one thing about football, or the players, I simply do not understand. By the time these guys are 18-21 years old their arms (and probably their backs too) are smothered in tattoos. I realize football players are not the only ones who tattoo themselves, tattoos just seem most prevalent in athletes.

First and foremost, these designs pasted to their bodies are permanent (definition: everlasting). I can't think of anything that I would want to look at on myself everyday for the rest of my life. Maybe my twice tattooed grandpa impacted my personal decision to never tattoos myself. He regrets both his tattoos a lot! Some people tattoo themselves with extremely personal and meaningful pictures. Good conversation piece? Negative.... which brings me to my second point: lots of people get tattoos places where they can't be seen. This decision really puzzles me! Why would you want a tattoo that people never saw or was only visible with certain wardrobe pieces? Explanation, please!

Let me also comment here, tattoos of butterflies and hearts immediately signal to me you are not at all deep, you barely scratch the surface. I could think of a million things with more meaning. And my other favorite designs are of the religious affiliation. Somewhere in the bible it says, "tattoos are bad" (with slightly more complicated wording). Its seems very hypocritical when people tattoo designs of Jesus (not too mention, how do people know what this guy looks like?) or the cross or bible verses.

My final concern about tattoos is the price at which they are purchased. If money grows on trees, can you tell me where? We are talking upwards of $400. In my college days that would be a 40 hour work week, yikes, definitely not worth it. Okay, I am super cheap so my final point is probably not valid. You could argue these last forever... la, la.

Having said I will never tattoo myself I have nothing wrong with others getting tattoos. Good thing because it is definitely not my decision to tell others how treat their bodies. Darn, I hate that. I can't wrap my head around where they get their money or how they know what they want when they are only 18-21 years old. Then when they do accomplish the first two things... why they hide them?

"Tattoos are like marriage: it's a lifelong commitment, it hurts like hell, and the color fades over time." (Unknown) Except marriage isn't really a lifelong commitment anymore... so this quote is partially expired.

1 comment:

  1. Funny, because I could see a certain someone saying he would get a tatoo before he thought twice about marriage (shouldn't be of the same thought?)
    Also, this is NOT a criticism of your post, simply a where does it say that in the Bible? My dad likes to tell me the Bible says all sorts of stuff, but I can't seem to find it all. The closest I've come on this issue is "your body is a temple of God" and so it should be treated. I don't think tatoos, necessarily, show disrespect of this "temple" (although, I'm sure, many could). But if they do, don't piercings, and dyeing your hair, and shaving, and cutting your toenails? Each of these things alter the state of your original temple. Like a tatoo, they could be considered decorations or blatant disrespect. I realize this is only arguing one extreme or the other, but just something to think about.
    p.s. still no tatoos-but that is because I'm indecisive!

    ReplyDelete