Saturday, October 24, 2009

Guilt, you can't beat me!

There is not going to be a final post in this "series" on guilt. Big deal. Writing has definitely started lifting the burden a little. For those of you who care, oh it feels so good! Unfortunately (or fortunately), I am realizing my guilt all ties into my ultimate problem of holding myself to incredibly high standards. I can't be prefect but I sure can try.

Along with holding myself to incredibly high standards, I am insanely competitive. Maybe those two go hand in hand? I will race anyone up the stairs, go to great lengths to beat a friend on a test, or do the most flips underwater at the pool. It does not matter who or what it is, I will be the best competitor I can be. Few people would argue that winning and succeeding does not feel good. And in this wonderful country, next to connections, being a competitor gets you places.

Thanks to a friend who recommended the words from this advice friendly blog, "Guilt can be avoided in most cases by making thoughtful choices and feeling confident in whatever decision you make." How very true. I am typically a confident person and I enjoy being competitive. And as always, life goes on regardless of how "paralyzing the guilt" may seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment