Saturday, October 1, 2011

The Wrong Side of History

Four and a half hours into game 162 of the regular season MY Atlanta Braves walked out on their postseason opportunity.

It went something like this:
  • An 8 1/2-game National League Wild Card lead on September 5.
  • 18 losses in the final 26; ending on a 5-game losing streak. 
  • Craig Kimbrel, who established a Major League rookie record this year with 46 saves, could not contain his emotions in the bottom of the ninth...  
  • sending the Braves to their 26th extra-inning game, the most in all of Major League Baseball, of the 2011 season,
  • which would close in 13 with a score of 4-3, in favor of the Philadelphia Phillies.
  • This meant a franchise record 102-wins in the regular season for the Phillies. Vomit(!!!).
I find myself playing sports reporter for the second time this week. These stats can be found elsewhere, my story (three paragraphs below), on the other hand, can't.

This game will mark the historical collapse of the 2011 Atlanta Braves. It was a matter of one more win, which would have actually been two since the St. Louis Cardinals handedly beat the Houston Astros. (Perspective: The Braves were playing against the best record in the majors; the Cardinals were playing against the worst. That's besides the point.) There are plenty of areas to point fingers at for the final slump, or any of the 73 losses. This year is history, quite literally; time to learn from these mistakes and concentrate on 2012.

This monumental flop was only historic for a matter of minutes--the Braves were outdone.

Beginning the month with a nine-game American League Wild Card lead, the Boston Red Sox concluded their season by throwing the pitch of a two-out bottom of the ninth walk-off. The equally tragic finish came slightly after the Braves--thanks to their 86-minute rain delay. Near identical season closures. Both teams within reach--up on their opponent 3-2 in the ninth--failed to seal the deal.

Baseball may not have the replay option while I unfortunately do.

I was in my not-even-twin-sized bed (The normal guest suite has a temporarily malfunctioning television.) at 11:49 PM on September 28 when the waterworks began. At first I was crying. And then I was not crying, I was sobbing pillow-soaking tears.

This was a problem. In my 24 years, I have never--not once--shed tears over a sporting event; I do not intend to start now. I have convinced myself these tears were rooted in an area way deeper than baseball. Trying desperately to console my dire situation I turned the channel to something safer, Lifetime. My fingers could not resist returning to SportsCenter. This to and fro from ESPN's SportsCenter to Lifetime's Dance Moms back-to ESPN's SportsCenter to HGTV's House Hunters International back-to ESPN's SportsCenter to TBS replaying The Office back-to ESPN's SportsCenter to MTV's Ridiculousness back-to ESPN's SportsCenter lasted into the wee hours of the morning. And was not easing the pain; it became certain--I am a glutton for punishment.

Three days, three games into the postseason, I am in recovery. Thank goodness for football, Clemson football(!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment