Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Craf-To-Ber

I am jobless. This translates into two concepts: First, my personal finances are sparse. Second, I have infinite spare time. My material fill for the year is over two months away, and I need gold glitter TOMS, size eight, stat. For those with an abundant wallet, I could use Hunter wellies and faux UGGs--ones that don't inhumanely harm a flock of genuine Australian sheep in the making--as well.

When (shoe) consumerism bogs me down and society waves instant gratification in my face... I forget about the 'hooray for independence' and the unique satisfaction that comes with providing for myself.

To my benefit, Mama H is all crafty--stitching together Halloween costumes, constructing holiday wreaths, and scrap-booking. At one point in childhood, she had us home-make candles at an age when children should not be sculpting hot wax. To demonstrate the insanity I have scars. This crafty phase has slowed as her children have become less appreciative aged, but she's still super diligent about purchasing supplies.

Mini Martha may not be willing to purchase my shoes; for this, I am upwards of 90% thankful. However, she is not at all above helping her daughter find a means to an end. In the midst of my need, she flagged me down for viewing when she saw Martha Stewart whip up sparkly shoes on one of her seven daily shows.

Credit to Stewart on the idea; Thanks to Mom for the supplies; Props to me for capitalizing.
My discount shopping, courtesy of Target, led me to these nine dollar white sneakers. Total savings: 45 Washington's(!!!).
These craft room staples: masking tape, Martha Stewart glitter, Mod Podge, a craft stick, and paint brushes--pulled me through.
And an hour of magic in conjunction with a day of drying got me these! [The craft supplies were lacking in gold glitter... I am setting the trend with green.]

SO unemployment has turned me in to a savvy DIY girl.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE these!!! What will you be glittering next?!

    xo

    ReplyDelete