Friday, October 14, 2011

An Escape

Excluding the 10-hour bus ride, 14 hours of the Columbus Day weekend were spent riding in the car with a beloved friend and random variables of her family. The trip was tossed together last minute to escape the millionth day of rain and savor the last little bit of the Southern summer. I had no problem leaving the job hunt behind for another opportunity to go-go-go.

The majority of scenery was observed from the car--over real and honest conversation. We managed to contain our words for a couple of short periods of Taylor Swift, Dixie Chicks, and Natasha Bedingfield. Because K.N.K.F. would have it no other way--she is basically the only person who gets a music pass. One can only tolerate so much of her preference.

A huge portion of my story took place in South Carolina. I may have revisited familiar places on this trip, but the travel still broke up life--evoked old and developed new memories.

As K.N.K.F. and I crossed the border from North to South Carolina, I commented on the affordable cost of living and price of gas (at only $3.13--we would eventually see gas for as low at $2.97--something each party, paying over $3.50 in our respective places of residence could appreciate). She immediately provided perspective by remarking, "The financial cost of living in South Carolina may be low, but it's the emotional toll where they get you." Spot on. This would be one of our many points of reflection.

The highlights were an Octoberfest party on the pond--including a nighttime paddle boat ride, joint-parenting sweet Baby C, uncovering the history of my second mothers' younger years, an evening beach stroll, cheerleadering for K.A.K. and his Clemson Club Tennis mates, delicious meals, late nights and early mornings.
We, K.N.K.F. and I, could not be at further ends of the spectrum of mid-twenties life. This friendship works because we accept and learn from our differences; we are intentional regarding our relationship. She is baby mania and settling down and navigating the ropes of young and married. There is stability and comfort. This, to me, is limiting. I want to continue to explore the world. Travel reminds me to live an adventure and inspires me outside the confines of my town. Travel is a way to encounter compassion, to renew my respect for the ease of daily life. I want to meet new people while closing down the town. This, to her, is unsettling.

In the midst of my friendship soapbox, pausing to reflect on this precious bond was important. This weekend challenged me to further appreciate this unique friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment