Thursday, July 21, 2011

Shoes for Lesotho

My 'first world' problems are a stark comparison to those of people in 'third world' situations. I lived that reality for 10 months; as the clock continues to tick I try to keep this in perspective. The story of the district track meet exposed this contrast most clearly to 'my community' of people back home--inspiring several, unbeknownst to me. I'm unsure how this poorly composed account of my experience broke through the deafening media storm of starving, shoeless Africa children, but it did.

With zero intention, this sparked a willingness from 'first world-ers' to help. First word of the project had me worried--here I was far away "watching" people come out of the woodwork, pouring time and energy into accomplishing a project with very loosely defined goals. Already concentrating on developing five secondary plans of my own at the time, I had no idea how to make shoe donations sustainable... but I went with it, partly because the two leaders were deeply invested before I even knew of it's existence. My main hesitation, beyond the [un]sustainability, was burn-out, from not only this project... but that of my upcoming library proposal, one yet to be announced.

Sustainability is constantly preached at volunteers; the word is frankly over-used. I understand it's very importance, but won't deny 'third world' problems wear you down. You constantly see, what you think is, the simple the solution: donations and money(!!!). In lieu of this, by guiding citizens to unite and work toward their own request you avoid creating monsters--lazy and demanding individuals. It's hard to argue doing a few small unsustainable projects as unworthy... those might be what touch and bond the people of the village the most, further allowing big ideas to come to fruition.

Spearheaded by two exceptionally inspired friends the 'Shoes for Samantha' project was born. Both friends served as college roommates, one right after the other, during the Peace Corps frenzy era. It's hard to tell if an entire school year of my 'save-the-world' rants had anything to do with this. Regardless, all of us were in slightly over our heads. These girls knew very little about each other beforehand, attacking full force from separate angles, eventually coming together... learning a lot about each other, steps to becoming an official non-profit, and understanding the developing world. I did essentially nothing--patiently waited, answered email questions when possible, and grew upset with their valid frustrations--from afar. The first shipment of shoes was safely delivered to Lesotho and mostly distributed at the time of my departure.

While working towards a more sustainable, long-term solution to the shoeless African children problem, H.C.O. talked to a lot of major shoe companies, including TOMS Shoes, about the possibility of setting up a large or regular donation. A text received a week ago indicated Lesotho is on the radar of TOMS Shoes. Rushing to check this out... I found my most loyal pen pal featured(!!!). I can only imagine the village excitement--children clamoring around with full bellies, proudly displaying their new belongings. Whoever and wherever you are--behind the scenes people--compliments on a job well done.

We as volunteers are brought together from around the U.S. of A. to serve these countries on behalf of our own; celebrating the successes each other experience is half the fun. It's hard to imagine the countless hours honed in, turning dreams into reality, by the homebase of my fellow volunteer did not coincide with my own community of people. Peace is about bringing people together all over the world. Thank you for all you have done and continue to do.

One for One.


My bright-eyed students showed me peace when I felt jailed by 'third world' problems. They acted courageously with hope to free me from myself--leading me to glimmers of light where reasons to celebrate do exist. Let the children, with covered feet, free of broken glass, be the ones we thank the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment