Monday, July 11, 2011

Power Outage

Tonight our power went out for 139 minutes, repeat 139 minutes. That's it--I lived twice that many days without power abroad. This outage occurred during a phone conversation that inevitably killed my phone. And because I was listening to music all evening on my unplugged laptop, the battery died as the thunder/lightning combination began to strike... previous experience has taught me electronics are not to be plugged in during storms. SOOO shocking, my electronics were out of juice "in a time of need."

The outage began around 8 PM, which is before the H gourmet dining hour. Ill equipped I settled for rabbit food--an avocado, blueberries, cherry tomatoes, and a cucumber. No electricity still, my scheduled Catfish (the documentary) date with C.A.H. was ruined. Or maybe that was canceled when he decided not to return to our powerless palace and instead spend the night at the freely-flowing-electron-home of his buddy?

I sat on the porch and socialized with neighbors before heading indoors to play with the noisy family puppy. We sprawled out on the floor, for it is the coolest place. Hoping the Home Run Derby would spontaneously appear on the television, I relocated to the couch, lounging while fall scented candles burned all around me, falsely advertising cooler weather around the corner.

It was this day, this moment in time, I realized I am disgustingly reintegrated into American culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment