Thursday, July 7, 2011

Exhaustion City

My college roommate might know me better than I know myself. That tends to be what happen when you spend every waking minute together... and then decide that's not enough time so living together for the final year of college will further the bond. Only certain friends will stay up late with you quoting Braveheart or calling customer service at Waffle House to tell them what a pleasurable dining experience you had. She is always down for fun, regardless of the circumstance.

C.J.R. is another friend of mine, one I met my senior year in college. Ten steps ahead of everyone in each game of life, she knows the meaning of the word maximize. Storytime with C.J.R. often lasts over an hour and are sometimes necessary multiple times a week. There is always something to look forward too.
Mix these two together, who before my extended trip to Boston--where the transplant and native currently reside--were simply acquaintances, and you have one successful trip.
If the near continual rain throughout the entire trip was a sign of something, I missed the signal. Looming rain clouds greeted me on the East Coast. Inclement weather might have canceled our camping plans, but we didn't let that stop us from biking the New Hampshire coast line.
This sign, barely legible in the rain, made me inquire as to the possibility of seeing Cape Cod while in the area. C.J.R. was, go figure, one step ahead of me. Already considering visiting the landmass during our "empty space" midweek. First to Boston to catch some zzz's before heading to the suburbs to meet the mother of one of my favorite fellow volunteers.

I exhausted my vocal cords and her ears sharing stories of volunteer life. She joked about our meeting being a "first date" of sorts, compliments to her son, the "match-maker." I mean she won me over with a trip to my mecca--Whole Foods, a walking tour of the area, and a deliciously home-cooked meal. As the evening wound down, somehow without the conversation doing the same, we watched the Boston Bruins play in the Stanley Cup. Thankfully (or sadly) the Detroit Red Wings were not the opponent, so while in Boston--go Bruins?
The next morning was an easy one, over coffee with M.B., contrasted by a physically exhausting afternoon. I traveled with C.J.R. to Cape Cod where we biked (in.the.rain. against gale force winds) the canal before hiking around Nickerson State Park.
There was a nice climbing element to the hike due to plenty of dead trees. Technically scaling these perfectly placed (very slick) branches wasn't required to forge the trail as walking under usually sufficed, however, they were great for posing(!!!).

My body demanded another cup o' joe on the way to the home of C.J.R. The time had finally come, after two years, for me to meet the infamous R family--granola making, package sending, vegetable growing, youngest historical society members, wine/sangria making, travel enthusiast. The bond this family shares was mystifying, in an awesome way.

Not wasting a minute--drinks on the town that night, followed by an early morning ferry to Block Island, Rhode Island. How do I even begin to describe this island? Imagery.
Slightly worried I had already peaked on the island with a week still remaining in New England I headed back to the city to meet up with poor (or rich?) H.C.O. who was subjected to the working world for the first part of the week. We ate dinner out on the town before perusing the Newbury Street/Public Gardens/Faneuil Hall area. Continuous late nights and early mornings had not caught up to us... yet. Thus we voyaged on with morning walks on the reservoir, a museum tour, an arboretum stroll, a baseball game, cruising (on feet) through the North End, visiting the East Harbor, photographing the Charles River Esplanade.
With some nice weather (finally) I joined the R family at their beach house on Long Island, New York. A doctors orders for rejuvenation--prepping me for my final days in the city.

There were very few things I missed. Upon mastering 'The T' and falling for the city, it was time to get out. When I loaded the bus to Philadelphia I was hoping to crash. Instead my brain was processing all 3000 thoughts racing through. The entire nine hours were spent journaling the events of New England.

This trip was a blast, each and every leg. Instead of hunting for a job, I'm hunting for excuses... to continue traveling.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sammy,

    Other then weather, your trip to New England sounds like it was busy and fun! You certainly saw and did a lot! But I hope you left some things undiscovered for future trips :-)

    It sounds like you saw a Red Sox game, yea!

    And, I like your tee shirt!!!

    xo Meredith

    ReplyDelete