Friday, July 1, 2011

City Flowers

During my extended stay in New England, I squeezed in two trips to the Boston Public Gardens. One might have been enough for most people but these unlabeled flowers (featured below) brought me back. In between my visits I spent a fair amount of time analyzing this flower type on the web, texted three people I respect for information, and obnoxiously questioned everyone within range. I turned up empty.
They are exquisite! Their sphere shaped purple flowers beg you to touch them, revealing an even more mystfying texture.

It wasn't till a couple days after I left the city, a text from H.C.O. revealed they are called Alliums--her answered coming from a random curbside conversation with a stranger. Go her! Futher research revealed they are more commonly known as Flowering Onions, thanks to their soft oniony scent.

Mystery Solved. Yay Plant Identification!

No comments:

Post a Comment