Monday, March 15, 2010

Track Meet

Saturday I went to the district track meet with my school where the biggest lesson I learned is that I am not hardcore. Being hardcore has been my number one goal most of my life and Saturday all those dreams were shattered. I did not even know my school had a “track team” until the day before the district finals. You guessed it, that means no practice. The debatably 400 meter track had two mild inclines and was dirt smeared with shards of glass. My students ran barefoot! The girls ran in skirts with no sports bras. They were not allowed to eat or drink water until after they finished ALL their events because it makes you run faster. Learn something new everyday. Better than that, they each had to eat ONE TABLESPOON of SALT because as it was explained “it keeps the water in you.” Why yes, salt does make you retain water… but that is NOT a good thing. Each student ran multiple events, meaning the distance runners ran the 800, 1600, 3200, and 5000 meters all in the SAME day. That is six and a half miles of racing for those less familiar with track lingo or wiling to do the conversions. And some of these events are back to back, organization is at it finest in this country. Probably the funniest part of the whole event is the runners walk off the track after the first three runners cross the finish line. It’s hysterical! Quit if you are not the best (or top three), another fabulous lesson learned. For those keeping tabs, you’re right, technically very few actually finish all the events. Regardless they are still hardcore in my mind.
Sold, another project for the to-do list! Now that I know my school has a “track team” or students interested in running I am totally on board. At next years district meet we are going to rock, or at least have some new tips for healthier, faster running. Running was a huge part of my high school experience. In fact, it was the only thing that made high school bearable. Perhaps, I can share my joy for running and high school sports with my students. For selfish reasons it will also allow me to get some running done. I have been unable to run around my hut because all the Basotho throw rocks at me. They are not trying to be vicious and they don’t try to actually hit me (although I have been pelted a few times). They simply are trying to get my attention. Remember that whole greet everyone well it is really hard to get a run in when you are stopping every 100 meters to greet someone. Back to my new track team, To get me started, I know of this great organization in Colorado who collects old running shoes. I am not sure what they do with them, but I think donating them to Lesotho is a good idea. As soon as I find a way to make this donation sustainable I am contacting them (shouldn’t be a challenge with all my access to phones and internet). I want them to do well not only next year but also they year after and the year after that and forever after I am gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment