Monday, March 22, 2010

Man Down

We lost the first volunteer from our training class today. She decided to early terminate (ET) her service because she could not take another day witnessing corporal punishment in this country. I understand where she is coming from; watching students get beat day after day wears on you! I am sad to report how desensitized I have become to an issue that truly needs addressing. Teachers beat, children cry, and I move on. I hate it. We all do.

It definitely caught me off guard. No one saw it coming. I was not close to her at all, but we came here together to help and learn from the people of Lesotho. We spent two and a half months training together in the cage before departing for two and a half months in isolation at our sites. Together or apart we learned from each other, we encourage each other, and we lean on one another. Peace Corp has introduced me to people I normally would not interact with or have ever encountered had I stayed in America. Each one of us has our own story and different reasons for wanting to serve, however, the fact that we are Peace Corp Volunteers unites us. Losing a member of your team is tough! I wish her the best on her next endeavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment