Thursday, May 5, 2011

True Story

Further forcing my ideas of a grand time on those inferior (only in age) I took my hosts out for a brief hike, splashing in a creek, picnicking at a waterfall, and a swimming in the lake to cool off at the days end. This plan was concocted in all of five minutes when their parents discovered their Sunday workload.

A and T loaded up more baggage for me to haul than my entire load for a ten month stay abroad while I packed my patience, hope I would be able to locate (the first waterfall), and an open mind. Beyond that... having no real expectations of my own and not sure exactly what my explorers could handle... we set out with much uncertainty.

In the end would would wind up getting torn apart by thorn bushes, spooked by horses along the trail, fried by the sun, eaten alive by mosquitos, slipping in the creek, and dying of thirst come four that afternoon. These small misfortunes did not set us back.

Instead, it was all the trash mocking us along the way--real life exposure to the devastation in our own backyard. Eeek! It would be a understatement to say I have rubbed off on A. She monitors the light situation at home and reports when she (accidently) used too much water at bath.
In the beginning she was probably only seeking my approval by sharing Earth friendly stories, now I genuinely believe she shares my compassion and concern for our dear planet. It was her idea to pick up litter along the way, commenting "the Earth needs us." She is embracing the challenge of cleaning up our surroundings and provides perspective for new lines of thinking.

Everyone has to run there own race... but this young adorer of Earth is off on one for the team. Quite literally.

I cringed a bit Sunday night (following our day under the sun) when A--confident and achievement oriented--walked out the door, running away to "save Mother Earth."
In my defense, her original plan was to flee from her little brother... who was causing her some understandable frustration throughout the day. She gave him one last look
and decided it was impossible to be mad at him(!!!). And on second thought realized she would have more success channeling her grievances productively to our helpless home.

No comments:

Post a Comment