Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Be the Match-Initial Emotions

At a point when I could finally feel the storm calming a new humanitarian wave has hit. My junior year of college was the first time in my life I had enough iron in my blood to donate--I'd been bulking up for Peace Corps, which failed miserably... a story I will save for a later date in time. By the time I got around to donating several of my friends had already established regular donation routines (go them!) and were willing to accompany me. Not a fan of blood the initial experience was less than enjoyable. Nevertheless I survived and light headedly signed up for the bone marrow list, never giving it a second thought.

Today, three and a half years later I received an overnighted FedEx package marked immediate attention, inside a letter telling me I am match for a 20 year old male with Leukemia. I feel overwhelmed with emotion--an acquaintance from college is battling with Leukemia right now. I could never look his family in the eye and selfishly say no. This is a complete stranger, someone I don't know but have the potential to help. A truly incredible opportunity.

I am not ready for this, recall I hate blood--the mere sight of it makes me weak. And anesthesia is a repeat offender when it comes to making me nauseous. A huge part of me wants to justify having gone through enough already, but I am sure my story in minor in comparison to the suffering of so many others. Turning this offer down would be turning a blind eye on everything I believe in.

You can't be a half-hearted humanitarian. So here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment